The trend of coworking continues, with everyone from start-ups to big businesses hopping on board and facilities popping up in the suburbs. Now, the Canadian government is looking into using cowork spaces for public service employees.
Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) explains that the department is planning on “exploring innovative workplace solutions,” which will include coworking facilities. This would give federal government employees an alternative to commuting to downtown Ottawa or working from home, providing a new element of flexibility to work schedules.
Details about what kind of facilities PSPC is looking into are limited at this time, but it’s likely that they will require high-speed, secure network infrastructure given the nature of their work.
A historic institution like the federal government deciding to use cowork facilities would represent a big step towards revolutionizing work culture in Canada’s capital. Providing more flexible work arrangements can go a long way in improving an organization’s ability to attract and retain talent, since they can accommodate team members from a much larger geographical area.
Recent studies have confirmed that flexibility is an important factor for workers: in 2016, Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) conducted a public engagement survey on flexible work arrangements, and found that 73 per cent of respondents had asked for flexible accommodations.
The growing interest in coworking across Canada means that the demand for flexible work spaces will increase as well. With different types of organizations exploring their options, cowork facilities will also need to consider how they can best cater to the needs of various industries.
alternawork is a dynamic cowork facility serving the thriving tech community in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and Kelowna. To book a tour or discuss your office space needs, contact us today!
You might also like:
- How Big Businesses are Reaping the Benefits of Coworking
- Kelowna’s Booming Tech Scene Attracts Entrepreneurs
- How Tech Startup RedBit is Thriving in alternawork’s Cowork Space
- Silicon Halton Software Peer2Peer Event: Practical Machine Learning and Data Analytics - June 11, 2019
- Join Us to Celebrate the Opening of alternawork Kelowna on June 13 - June 10, 2019
- How to Achieve Privacy in a Cowork Space - June 5, 2019
- Why Design Elements Are Crucial in a Cowork Space - April 25, 2019
- Cowork Trend Grows with Federal Government Considering Options - March 18, 2019
- alternawork Kelowna Now Open to Serve the Growing West Coast Tech Scene - February 5, 2019
- How Big Businesses are Reaping the Benefits of Coworking - November 19, 2018
- Kelowna’s Booming Tech Scene Attracts Entrepreneurs - October 10, 2018
- We’re Adopting New Technology to Streamline Your Work Day - September 13, 2018
- How Tech Startup RedBit is Thriving in alternawork’s Cowork Space - July 25, 2018