The benefits of using cowork spaces are boundless, but you might have a few concerns before diving in. One of the common questions about coworking involves safety—both in terms of cyber security and physical safety in the space. Read on to learn more about safety features you should look for when considering a cowork facility.
Network security is always top of mind for shared office users, especially when dealing with confidential and potentially sensitive information. Fortunately, cowork facilities can minimize the risks by offering a secure Wi-Fi network that can only be accessed by registered members, using an enterprise-grade firewall system, and implementing multi-factor authentication systems.
Here are a few questions you can ask to determine the security of a cowork facility’s network:
- Is the network secure?
- Will I be on a public network?
- Does the office have a dedicated IT person in case of any security issues?
Another common concern with a shared space is physical safety—who has access to the facility, and will your valuable belongings be safe? A coworking office with locked doors and 24/7 access only via personal identification is the safest option.
Of course, there will always be external visitors to any office. That’s why alternawork uses Envoy, an iPad-based sign-in system for guests, to keep track of all visitors to the building. This process also involves guests signing an NDA to protect the intellectual property of all tenants.
Another option to consider is a lockable office. This gives you the freedom to keep your space locked and secure, whether you’re just stepping out for lunch or for a long weekend. If you’re not ready to commit to your own office, some cowork spaces provide lockable desks for users in the open office space.
Ask the Right Questions
There are many features you can look for to ensure that you reap all the benefits of a cowork space while maintaining cyber security and physical safety. Be sure to ask prospective cowork space providers about the safety measures they employ—they should be able to address any concerns you may have.
alternawork is a dynamic cowork facility serving the thriving tech community in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and Kelowna. To book a tour or discuss your office space needs, contact us today!
You might also like:
- How to Achieve Privacy in a Cowork Space
- Why Design Elements Are Crucial in a Cowork Space
- How Big Businesses are Reaping the Benefits of Coworking
- Serviced Offices vs. Coworking Spaces: Now You Can Have Both - November 8, 2019
- Oakville: The GTA’s Emerging Hub for Innovation and Tech - August 20, 2019
- Maintaining Safety and Security in Coworking Spaces - July 18, 2019
- Silicon Halton Software Peer2Peer Event: Practical Machine Learning and Data Analytics - June 11, 2019
- Join Us to Celebrate the Opening of alternawork Kelowna on June 13 - June 10, 2019
- How to Achieve Privacy in a Cowork Space - June 5, 2019
- Why Design Elements Are Crucial in a Cowork Space - April 25, 2019
- Cowork Trend Grows with Federal Government Considering Options - March 18, 2019
- alternawork Kelowna Now Open to Serve the Growing West Coast Tech Scene - February 5, 2019
- How Big Businesses are Reaping the Benefits of Coworking - November 19, 2018